68hr Medication Aide
***READ ALL INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE REGISTERING.
Table of Contents
About This Class
The 68hr Medication Administration Course is a Virginia Board of Nursing approved program. The course instructs participants on how to administer & assist a resident in self-administering medications, including blood sugar checks & insulin injections, in an assisted living environment.
This class will have 68 hours of training, consisting of 44 hours of ONLINE training and 24 hours of clinical training in an On-the-Job assisted living facility, to assist in Medication Management and Administration in assisted living facilities.
The classroom portion of this program is Online.
- Please verify that you meet the Prerequisites for this class prior to signing up.
- You may access this class online 24/7 from your desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- The Online portion of this class is 44 hours.
- Online portion MUST be completed within 3 weeks (21 days) of course start date.
The in person Clinical Training portion of this program is in a Fresh Start Approved Assisted Living Facility.
- An additional 24 hours of Clinical Training is required. Clinical training is on-the-job. Please be prompt with scheduling.
Class Dates & Times
Online Class Dates:
- Check Calendar on website for class start dates.
- Monthly schedules and “Around the Clock” access
- Online class portion must be completed within 3-weeks (21-days) from Start Date.
- All Tests (8-chapters & Final Exam) are released and closed for 4-days throughout the 3-weeks so students must work with the timeline to stay on task. (Check your email)
- Hands-on Skills to be completed “on-the-job” at an assisted living facility with trained nurses added to Fresh Start Healthcare approved program.
- Twenty-Four (24) Hours of Skills & Clinical Instruction must be completed within 60-days of Online Class Completion. Please be prompt with scheduling.
A certificate of completion from one of the following *must be submitted to Fresh Start PRIOR to the START DATE of the course:
- Virginia Department of Social Services approved 40hr Direct Patient Care program.
- Virginia Medicaid approved 40hr Personal Care Assistant certificate.
For more information on 18VAC90-60-60 the following link will take you to Virginia’s requirements:
- Current PPD (TB) Test or Chest X-Ray ($25 to $45)
- Current Criminal Background Check from the Virginia State Police ($15 or more)
NOTE: Assisted Living Facility Employers are required to perform PPD (TB) Tests and Criminal Background Checks for all new hires.
Not Included: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be eligible to apply to the Virginia Board of Nursing ($50) and the examination at PSI ($70) to become a Registered Medication Aide (RMA).
*STUDENTS must click the following link for the Board of Nursing Application Wizard (this will open in a new window.) Once there, click “Apply Now” to receive approval to take the state exam.
*NO PAPER APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED
- Upon successful completion of the course, Certificates and Performance Record will be provided via email to the facility within 14 Business Days (count ONLY Monday through Friday non-holidays).
- All fees are non-refundable once classes have started, or you have accessed any of the information.